I left Tuesday morning for my new home in the mountains of Lesotho. The drive to my village is breathtaking...(and lunch taking, but we'll get to that later). After an 11 hour ride I finally arrived at my site.
After moving everything into my newly re-mudded/dunged (still wet) rondaval, my counterpart, supervisor and I were attempting to fix my gas heater when a chicken decided to enter my home. After a furry of feathers and clucks, my counterpart finally caught the chicken, but not before my room had a chicken feather carpet. Though, I think all the excitement combined with a very intense car ride finally got to me. Immediately after the chicken vacated my home, I ran outside and threw up. Ah, welcome home.
I am living in a rondaval which overlooks the Mokhotlong River. The mountains which surround the village are dramatic and stunning. The highest peaks are snow-covered. It is about a two and a half hour ride to the camptown from my village. The ride is fairly pleasant though -- I only feared for my life a couple times. However, on the weekends there is no vehicle into town. So, often I will make the 4 hour trek to town on foot. After seeing the path (walking on the road would take twice as long) which starts off with a steep drop down the mountain side, I am convinced that I will either be in the best shape of my life or dead by the end of service.
I'm back in Maseru now to take my language test (tomorrow) and finally swear in as a Peace Corps Volunteer (Wednesday). Thursday will be the first day of my two years at site. I still hope to update you all on a semi regular basis, but I know communication will become much more difficult now.
My time on the internet is running out, but I love and miss you all. Salang Hantle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are the great chicken whisperer! Sorry about losing your lunch. I threw up several times in my first 2 weeks in Ikotos. :(
You make me laugh soo hard! I can hear your little voice describing it all. I miss you and good luck on your test!! I'll be praying! xoxo <3
Post a Comment