Sunday, July 27, 2008

Our training group left our villages Friday, which meant saying good-bye to our host families. It was harder than I expected. I am incredibly blessed to have such a great family in my life.

Tomorrow I will have a workshop with my future supervisor and then on Tuesday I will ride across the country to view my site. This includes moving into my rondaval, meeting my community and being introduced to my new work site.

Unfortunately, I injured my back so moving will be even more of a challenge. However, while recovering at the t-house I met one of the volunteers in my district (Violeta) who immediately put me at ease about my new site. It sounds peaceful and beautiful.

It will take about 8-10 hours to get to my site if everything goes according to plan. Some of you are probably wondering why it will take so long to travel what seems like a relatively short distance, but if you happen to be looking at a topographical map or one showing the lack of paved roads in the region, I'm sure you'll understand.

Next Sunday I have my Sesotho language assessment test. Assuming I pass, I will then officially swear in next week. Then, I will move to my site permanently.

These next two weeks will be intense, but it's exciting to finally be going somewhere permanent.

As always, thank you all for your support...you're thoughts, prayers, e-mails... I am very aware that I could not be here if it weren't for all of you.

2 comments:

Meghan Baird said...

Rach-e boy!! I can't wait to hear ALL about your new site! I hope your back gets better soon and I will pray for quick healing! Lots of love and stuff...xoxo.
ps- I want to run a marathon in your area! I'm trying to convince Veronica.

Zach said...

I hope your trip goes smoothly. I can imagine that the bumpy road would make things uncomfortable with a sore back. How did you hurt it? Is there a cool story, like tackling a charging elephant to save a small village child? Actually, does Lesotho have elephants? I wonder if the elevation is too high. You know after living for more than two years at that elevation you could probably run a marathon in an incredible time. lol

I looked up your town on a satellite image. The road to get there is even windier than roads in WV. At first, I thought it was a river, but I think it actually runs on top of a ridgeline.

Also, how is the weather? Is there any snow?

Good luck on the Sesotho language exam!