Saturday, June 21, 2008

WEEK ONE IN MY TRAINING VILLAGE

As I write this I am sitting cross-legged in front of my small gas powered space heater, trying not to catch my long underwear on fire. I am writing by candlelight (with the help of a headlamp) and I'm snacking on a few apricot cookies left over from the plane ride here two weeks ago.

Outside the weather is menacing -- hail and lightening. It's funny to think that just this morning I thought the light rain and pigeons on my tin roof were noisey...

This past week has been intense with training, family time and general adjustment to my village, but it's also been a lot of fun.

I feel so blessed to have the most amazing host family. They make me laugh constanntly and they make me feel like I belong with them.

I also live close to another trainee who has inspired me to start running again. So, this week, I have been able to watch the sun rise over my small mountain village every morning.

There is so much more I would love to tell you, but time on the internet is so limited. Please keep me in your thougts and prayers...especially about site placement which will happen in the next few weeks. This is when I will find out where I will be living for the next two years!

4 comments:

Meghan Baird said...

Yeah Rach!! You are doing great! What a champ. Stay warm in your long underwear and drink plenty of hot Cadbury hot cocoa! :)
I'm sick, whaa, and had to get a shot, but doing better.

Zach said...

I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well and have been enjoying the sunrises. I'm also guessing that the food must be good, considering the airplane cookies haven't been eaten in two weeks. haha

Travelling through Europe has been fantastic. I don't know why I've waiting so long to visit here.

Good luck with your placement!

Aunt-T said...

Rachel,

We are so excited to see and hear about your wonderful adventure.
May the Lord give you peace, strength & joy as you rest in His grace.

Unknown said...

Rachel,

Its good to read your posts and see that you are doing well. Where exactly is your host family??

I am in South Africa right now, and am in the process of leaving the Limpopo province, and would love to come and see you. We just finished up the medical aspect of our crazy trip. The other UVa students and myself are actually going to be in Lethoso this weekend--I know this is totally late notice, but if you do happen to get this within the next couple of days email me (jeffgenda@gmail.com). I have a car, and it would be great to see you! If not its ok, but I will look forward to it regardless. Hope to talk soon.

~Jeff

Hope this is