Wednesday, February 18, 2009



Hello everyone! I hope you are well and enjoying your winter. I think about you all more often than you know.
I've been in Lesotho 8.5 months now. Some days that seems like a very long time, but only when I think about home and the things I'm missing. Overall, I'm really enjoying my time here.
What am I doing?
Farming Group:
Work with the farming group is slow. It's the growing season here and people are busy. However, I'm hoping that once winter begins people will have more time to focus on building/improving their organization in preparation for the inspection to become organically certified.



Community Library:
Since I first arrived, young girls have been arriving at my doorstep asking for books, so, I've been running an informal book exchange from my house. However, my community has always wanted to create a library and with the completion of the school cooking house, my community is free to focus on another project. My village is very excited to create a community library and I'm excited to be part of something that is so obviously needed and wanted. More on this to come...



Art/Crafting Club/Small business:
It's my belief that good development comes from the creativity of the people themselves. In my village children are rarely encouraged to think creatively, to ask why, to discover who they are as people and think about what they want in life. It's something small, but I'm going to start teaching arts and crafts (with help from community members) to youth here.

I'm excited! I've taught art before, but I'm especially excited to incorporate issues affecting youth here into the assignments.



Future projects:
I have a great relationship with a motivated community. There are so many possibilities, but the focus of anything I do will always be good, sustainable development. More info to come...

3 comments:

Jen, Jenny, Jennifer said...

Let me know about your ideas for a community library. Are you looking for any books in English? I happen to have lots of connections to books, mostly children's books though.

Zach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zach said...

It's obvious by the smiles on the childrens' faces that you bring them a lot of joy! They're really lucky to have you there.

Also, is that your hut? It looks HUGE! I assume you must be sharing it. If not, I'd have to bring the sheep in during the winter to help keep me warm. =)