Wednesday, May 7, 2008


I debated starting a blog for a long time. I even started one months ago and deleted it, thinking I probably wouldn't maintain it in Lesotho anyway. Though, after a year of reading about the beautiful moments my friend experienced as she taught in Sudan, I feel as though this form of communication can be personal.

I still have a little under a month left in the US and, yes, I've been busy packing, making phone calls, researching everything Lesotho related and making lists...about everything, but I know the most important thing I can do in this time is to be wholly present in the life I'm living now.

I've been trying to memorize everything -- the way the trees sway and the dirt smells. There have been a million little moments where I think "this small thing...this is what I'll miss".

Lately I've found myself staring at the sunset over the field across from my lane home on my evening runs. It has always been beautiful, but lately the way the land lies and the way the small random trees rise in the distance gives me a sense of Africa. Of course Lesotho will probably not look this way, but this image always brings me a sense of peace.

I keep thinking how wonderful it is to be able to love this place and leave it not because I have to, but because I know I'm supposed to.

1 comment:

Megan K. said...

Great blog Ms. Franklin! :-)

Can't wait to keep up with your experiences once we're in Lesotho..well, whenever I get access to the internet of course. See you in 3 weeks!